[consulting] Getting Freelance Work

Domenic Santangelo domenics at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 17:04:34 UTC 2010

On Jun 1, 2010, at 6:26 AM, Sam Polenta wrote:

> On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 11:56 PM, Matt Chapman wrote:
>> Easier said than done, which is why RFPs are usually a waste of time
>> until you're large enough to support a dedicated sales person, and can
>> make ends meet if s/he works for 3 months without bringing in a single
>> project. I have yet to meet a freelancer who wants to sign up for that
>> game.
>
> Dude, I was number 2 for this gig. Seems I have a pretty good chance
> of getting work this way. No?

This is a generalization. I forgot the name of the logical fallacy, but you're taking this experience and generalizing it to "all" RFPs (clearly not /all/ RFPs but you see what I'm saying).

On top of that, as someone else already pointed out -- 2nd place is the first loser when it comes to RFPs.

If you like the process and can sustain it for yourself, by all means respond to them. There's no right or wrong here, just the experience of your fellow freelancers which you may or may not find to be true in your particular situation :)

-Dom