[consulting] Getting Freelance Work

Christian Pearce pearcec at xforty.com
Tue Jun 1 13:56:33 UTC 2010

----- "Sam Polenta" <sam.polenta at gmail.com> wrote:
> > That is no doubt excellent. I think the point is winning RFP business is
> > hard and takes a lot of work to win it. If you win 1 in 10 you spent a lot
> > of time going after those 9 to win one. I have a company and we don't go
> > after all the RFP work. it is time consuming. You don't get to interact
> > with the customer in a traditional sales role. it is tough to differentiate
> > yourself with a document. The firms who dedicate a resource have full time
> > people working to win the RFP.
>
> Hmmm. You agree with Matt. OK, I hear.
>
> > My advice is figure out how to go after business quickly and don't spend a
> > lot of time on the RFP.
>
> How do you do that? I tried saying, "Dude, I am far better than anyone
> else you will find, so just hire me." But most of the clients, fools
> that they are, didn't seem to accept that so easily. Their loss. :)

One reason I rarely go after RFP work. I haven't found a formula that works without spending a ton of time. I focus more on the business that isn't RFP based. I am not going to share my exact formula with you though. You asked for advice. We are discussing our experiences. Love them or leave them.

> Sam

xforty technologies
Christian Pearce
888-231-9331 x1119