[consulting] REVISED RFP FOR DRUPAL DEVELOPER

Christopher M. Jones cjones at partialflow.com
Thu Nov 11 20:44:15 UTC 2010

Yup. Friendly advice. That's all this is. Especially since I personally
am in no position to take any new work at any price or on any schedule ;-)

Ken, it's clear that the big big issue here is your timeline. I bet that
if you were able to stretch that you could get some good bites that are
worth reeling in.

I once did a project on a ONE week deadline. Sort of. The client was
headed to a trade show and wanted something to show to potential
investors. All she needed was something she could pull up in a browser
and click around to one or two subpages. The requirement was that the
home page look like the comp. Once the trade show was over, we hosed the
site and built it for real. Took ten months.

Another client, a non profit, had a deadline similar to yours. The
continuation of funding depended on having something live. If we didn't
make the live date then the project was going to die. The project
actually took twice the time alloted, and the project didn't die.
Because we were able to do a pre-live launch to the investors which, if
anything, made them MORE excited to invest.

The moral of these stories is: investors / donors cannot be allowed to
dictate the schedule. And, usually, they can be romanced into being
flexible when they see that real progress is being made.

I really do wish you the best on this.