[consulting] Server Specs

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Mon Apr 4 01:03:09 UTC 2011

Another thing to check: I have run into servers before where, for
reasons I could never explain, PHP itself ran insanely slow.  It wasn't
that Drupal was slow per se but the time it took the computer to execute
a given line of PHP code was longer than it had any right to be.

Make yourself a simple test script that makes a random array of about
10,000 numbers and then sorts them.  Run it a dozen times or so on your
computer, then on your test site, then on the production server.  See if
the numbers are what you'd expect.  If the production server is notably
slower than the others, that indicates that the server is broken some how.

I've only run into that situation once and never did figure out what was
wrong with the server (it was the client's server and they refused to
believe that it was a problem with their PHP configuration, especially
when other vhosts on the same box were fine), but it's a really quick
thing to check to see if the host you're on is any good.

--Larry Garfield