[consulting] Server Specs

larry at garfieldtech.com larry at garfieldtech.com
Mon Apr 4 15:53:27 UTC 2011

On 4/3/11 10:48 PM, Eric Tucker wrote:

> (1) InnoDB in MySQL is your friend for performance. (To some this may
> seem counterintuitive, but we found this to work in practice.)

One odd caveat here, InnoDB may be faster for a well-designed database
but in my experience if you have badly inefficient queries somewhere
that will hurt MORE in InnoDB than on MyISAM.  So don't just flip your
tables over blindly.  Try it on a test box and see if any of your
queries suddenly get much slower.  If they do, try fixing those
bottlenecks first.  (This is especially true if you have queries that
generate temp tables, as those are, in my experience, much more
expensive in InnoDB than MyISAM.)

--Larry Garfield