[consulting] From Highly Formatted Print to Web -- Best Solution?

Shai Gluskin shai at content2zero.com
Thu Apr 7 17:06:38 UTC 2011

Hi Folks,

I've got a client who is going to be serially publishing a book to its web
site, one page/day. Each day will be its own node.

The print version is *highly *formatted. A real pain. The text is either in
pdf or Word, but the fussing I've done so far when pasting into TinyMce
doesn't produce good results.

Here is my idea that I want feedback on: They should take a screen shot of
the whole page (the pages are small, like 5in. x 7in.) for each day and
upload the image. In order to get search-engine traffic for those pages, I
thought they should just copy and paste the text from the pdf into a text
field, losing all the formatting. Using css, I'll make sure the text field
displays off-screen. This way they get the cleanest/easiest data entry and
best-looking presentation while still allowing search engines to drive
traffic to the page based on the text contents of a field that will be
offscreen.

Does that make sense?

Any other ideas?

Shai