[consulting] Thoughts on using the word "Drupal" on your business site and in marketing

nan wich nan_wich at bellsouth.net
Mon Feb 7 15:34:00 UTC 2011

Hmm... Looking back over my work, I've only gotten two requests: 1) Fix my site,
or 2) Build me a site.

In the first case ("fix"), there have been three outcomes: 1) It was already
Drupal and that's why they sought me out; 2) It was straight PHP/MySql; 3) It
was some other CMS. In #1, I usually fix it, then push for a maintenance
contract (unusally unsuccesfully). In case #2, I took the job and almost always
muttered to myself, "This would be so much easier/better in Drupal." In case #3,
I try to find them someone with expertise on that platform unless I can manage
to convince them that Drupal is better (which I will be doing in an
interview this week).

In the "build" case, only one has specifically requested Drupal, and that was
because the CIO was a Drupal hobbyist and his Java staff (9 people) told him it
would take two years. Mostly by myself, the site was launched in three months,
then I spent the next nine months responding to Marketing requests for new
features and training someone to administer the site from then on.

Of all the remaining sites I have done from scratch, no one has been unhappy
that they could create and maintain their own content or that it was easy to
(re-)organize.

Nancy

From: jeff at ayendesigns.com
Interesting. All four of the last four direct-to-client sites I did
asked me for Drupal specifically. I'm not sure which experience is an
anomaly...probably mine. I don't know about the comparison, though. You
could look at Drupal as the water in a bottle of web platforms, or
Drupal as the bottle in a vending machine of web site drinks.