[consulting] Should clients pay less if you work from home and they don't have to give you office space?

David Hazel dave at hazelconsulting.com
Thu Feb 10 21:29:13 UTC 2011

Joel,

I really like the idea of the extra billed hour for on-site work (vs.
calling it a trip charge).

Do you get any push back when you discuss it with clients.

I find that a certain number of face-to-face meetings, especially near the
beginning/end of a project can be quite productive. Where do you draw the
line between discourage on-site for the sake of being on-site, vs actually
needing the face to fact time.

On a recent project at the clients request we included a set number of F2F
meetings(3), but that was greatly reduced from their original request of 1
per week.

-Dave

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 1:07 PM, Joel Farris <joel at transparatech.com> wrote:

> Adam is right. An hour of work costs the same no matter where it's
> performed. If they're trying to save money by having you work from home
> rather than having to provide you an office space, then here's what you tell
> them:
>
> "I've quoted you the rate per hour (and possibly a job rate too), and that
> hourly rate is the same no matter where I am in the world. Now, in the
> interests of saving yourselves money, remember that I bill one hour for
> every onsite client meeting, regardless of whether any work is done that day
> or not. So any day you want me to come in to your offices and work, it'll
> cost you $100 plus up to $800 for the day's work. If you can assign me tasks
> and I can do them all from home, it'll only cost you $800 for the day's
> work".
>
> Time == money. Give me properly specced task tickets that I can do from my
> own office and you'll get billed less. Call me into your office three times
> a week for "face-to-face 'working meetings'", and it'll cost you $300 extra
> a week. See? :)
> --
> Joel Farris
> TransparaTech, Inc
> "There are no mysteries here."
> 619.717.2805
> Skype & Twitter: joelfarris
>

> On Feb 10, 2011, at 12:33 PM, Adam Mordecai wrote:
>
> > The work is the work, which you can accomplish in both places regardless
> of location. That's a bizarre request on their part and I don't think its
> standard practice. Maybe they can pay you extra for the gas cost to drive to
> work? same principal, still silly.
> >
> > Adam Mordecai
> > Partner - Advomatic, LLC
> >

> > On Feb 10, 2011, at 12:58 PM, Michael Prasuhn wrote:
> >
> >> I'm not sure how it would be less expensive for you to provide your own
> workplace? I would think the opposite would generally be true, since you
> have to furnish yourself with net connection, rent, phone, electricity, etc.
> >>
> >> -Mike
> >> __________________
> >> Michael Prasuhn
> >> 503.512.0822 office
> >> mike at mikeyp.net
> >> http://mikeyp.net

> so on a local government site. I don't remember if I mentioned that I worked
> from home a bit on my previous gig or not. But they did ask if I would
> reduce my rate a bit when I worked from home. That is, it would be a dual
> rate deal; $x in the office, $x-5 from home (for example).

> with my own tax money.

> King, Jr.

Email is not a secure form of communication!

Drupal Consultant
253.686.0296
http://www.hazelconsulting.com/
dave at hazelconsulting.com