[consulting] Should clients pay less if you work from home and they don't have to give you office space?

Joel Farris joel at transparatech.com
Thu Feb 10 22:33:29 UTC 2011

See David, that's the beauty of this system. :) We don't tell clients that it's a penalty, perse, they just understand that they will be charged that hour for any day they call a face-to-face meeting. If the meeting only lasts an hour, and then we go home, we bill them one hour for each of us who set foot onsite for that meeting. If, on the other hand, they call a meeting, and then we work face-to-face after that, we bill accordingly, up to an eight-hour day. Thing is, our clients are all corporate and they go home at 5pm, so that means we're billing eight hours, but 'working' only 7 because we had that one hour meeting. They totally understand this, because that's what they do too, in essence. See, if they'd left us alone in our own home offices, they'd have gotten eight hours' worth of 'results'. :) Granted, we might be working on a project rate rather than an hourly, which would mean we're billing each face-to-face meeting over and above the quoted price for the project. Yes, we do make this clear up front as well, but only if the client is demanding a project rate from us. That's why we're called TransparaTech. :)

In the enterprise world, meetings are necessary, but they don't ever produce any results other than take-away action items. Oh, and I totally agree with you that face-to-face meetings are necessary at the beginning and end of a project. If you can physically do one F2F (either onsite or video) each week during a project as well, so much the better.
--
Joel Farris
TransparaTech, Inc