[consulting] Purpose?

jeff at ayendesigns.com jeff at ayendesigns.com
Wed Mar 23 15:16:08 UTC 2011

The recent thread has reminded me that I was going to ask something long
ago and forgot all about it: what is the intended purpose of this list?
I don't mean this to imply anything negative, facetious, etc. I'm
curious for two reasons. One is that I don't know whether it is intended
to be 'about' consulting or 'for' consulting. That is, is it meant to be
a jobs list, or about the business of Drupal consulting? It's fine with
me either way, but certainly people need a place to bitch about their
work and their clients that is probably best not being the same place
where potential clients are looking for help, and it seems the list is
bein used for both, which causes me to wince quite often.

The other is based on what I often see implied, that 'developer' and
'consultant' are interchangeable terms, where being even a top developer
doesn't mean the person has 1 ounce of consulting skills necessarily,
nor that they do any consulting, and, likewise, a consultant doesn't
necessarily need to write one line of code. At the extreme end, they can
be consulting higher up in the client food chain on a strategic level,
or at an architectural level, etc., and so I wonder whether there is an
intention for the list to be about the business of consulting, or about
the business (as opposed to the craft) of developing/site
building/theming. Again, it doesn't matter to me whether it's all the
above...just wanna hear what people think.

--
/I am a non sequitur. Beware, the contents were packaged where peanuts
are processed./

Ayen Designs
388 Bullsboro Drive #105 · Newnan, Georgia 30263
404-271-9734
Web:ayendesigns.com <http://ayendesigns.com/>
Blog: theAccidentalCoder.com <http://theaccidentalcoder.com/>
Drupal: j. ayen green <http://drupal.org/user/367108> (367108)
IRQ: j_ayen_green
IM (Yahoo) baalwww    (MSN) baalwww at yahoo.com
Skype: ayendesigns | Facebook: ayendesigns | Twitter: @ayendesigns

Ayen Designs is the computer services division of