[development] One core, many distributions

Thomas G. Willis tom.willis at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 14:50:22 UTC 2005

Just a bit of insight from another drupal user. First post too.

When I first stumbled on drupal everything I read/was told led me to believe
it was a kick ass CMS. Now that I've been working with it for a few months I
tend to think of it as more of a development platform. Or I guess the best
comparison I can give is that drupal is to websites as debian is to linux.

Lots of high quality infrastructure, flxibility and extendibility, not much
focus on any particular area outside of the core idea. And like debian, it
has it's benefits and drawbacks. One benefit is it can be all things to all
people, and it's biggest drawback is that it's generic and requires work on
the users part to get the solution they actually want. And in the debian
world, more specialized distributions have cropped up to meet the needs of a
large portion of users (ubuntu). The existence of ubuntu doesn't necessarily
effect what the debian team chooses to make a priority. Though it could, but
there's no guarantees.

If drupal doesn't meet your specific needs you have choices. That's good
news!!!!!

I'm glad that opensource software is getting more and more popular with
normal human beings. At the same time though I'm looking forward to a time
when normal human beings finally understand that they are participating in a
community, not depending on companies providing free software.

--
Thomas G. Willis