5.0 and or 4.8 (was Re: [development] Drupal x.x.0 freeze date)

Jenny Hsueh jenny at ondemand-network.com
Tue May 2 02:07:25 UTC 2006

Darrel O'Pry wrote:

>>From a developers perspective...
>
>  I'm going to develop what I want for Drupal regardless of the Roadmap
>other people have. I don't want my pet 'features' that are ready for
>release to have to wait on your pet feature. I want to see it in the
>mainline development version so people can test and comment on it. I
>think people who are actively developing drupal now days have a feel for
>where it is going.
>

>.darrel.

It is fair, one can have ones own view of what  they like or dislike
without the concerns of others yet wishing others can help to test and
comment on their pet features.  It is pretty sad if this is the main
stream thoughts from developers - I hope  this is not the case.   But of
course, we all like no rules and no obligations ;-).

Don't want to be deliberate on this roadmap discussion any more, but my
point is - a roadmap or whatever you want to call it, is a tool to make
things more "visible" up front and help the community to navigate - I
will think a more productive way to get folks to help to test your
feature is to make sure whatever you are working or want to work on is
important enough to be on the roadmap so that it is visible to others,
and any dependencies it has will be well planned and coordinated up front.

Jenny