5.0 and or 4.8 (was Re: [development] Drupal x.x.0 freeze date)

Khalid B kb at 2bits.com
Tue May 2 02:25:55 UTC 2006

> It is fair, one can have ones own view of what  they like or dislike
> without the concerns of others yet wishing others can help to test and
> comment on their pet features.  It is pretty sad if this is the main
> stream thoughts from developers - I hope  this is not the case.   But of
> course, we all like no rules and no obligations ;-).

Jenny

This is Open Source development. It does not happen because corporate
marketing mandates a feature, or  someone up high in the hierarchy orders
it down the command chain.

It is mainly a scratch your itch thing. Someone's itch may be something
relating to a web site they own and run, another person's itch is their non-
profit clients, yet another would be commercial clients, yet another would
be scalability for a hosting provider, ...etc.

We cannot force everyone to a herd mentality or a hive mind. If others want
a feature in, they write it, they lobby for it, they convince others
of its value.
I will only object if I see that this breaks something else, or is bloated, or
whatever.

In my view, the features have to be the collective sum of pet features that
people who chose to propose them and put the effort to make them happen.

So, it is not as pessimistic as you understood it to be, or as you may sound
to you.