[development] RFC: drupal as a moving target

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Wed Apr 30 00:27:53 UTC 2008

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 16:36:57 -0700, "Caleb Gilbert" <caleb.gilbert at gmail.com> wrote:

>> There is no 'gold repository' for contributed modules. (Yet another
> repeated variation on this debate)
>>

> Au, contraire - if I'm not mistaken this is *exactly* what part of
> Acquia's
> business model is based on. If this doesn't imply some sort of parallel
> benefit-of-sanity for the larger Drupal community then I am indeed very
> confused about many things.
>
> - C

Acquia is not the Drupal project, and there is no reason the project "must" follow where Acquia leads.  Most dev shops have their own "standard suite" of modules, and while nearly all probably have Views and CCK, I suspect there's a lot of divergence after that.

There will likely be a benefit from Acquia having a list of "we will put effort into these" modules, but that does not imply anything official for the project itself, nor should it.

--Larry Garfield