[development] Menu Tree Access Control?

Andrew Berry andrewberry at sentex.net
Fri Apr 3 04:11:51 UTC 2009

On 2-Apr-09, at 8:56 PM, Josh Koenig wrote:

> Overall, this puts me back into the place of wishing for a more
> featureful, usable outlining system that combines much of book and
> menu modules. Maybe a summer project for D7. ;)

I'm working on a site nearing completion which uses Books and
book_access for a case similar to yours, though without quite as much
granularity. We've been quite happy with book_access. If you pursue a
more fine-tuned system for permissions within a book outline, let's
get a group going and see what we can come up with, as I think it's
something my clients would be interested in.

> I'm not 100% sure I'm following your needs here, but this module may
> be along the same lines:
>
> http://drupal.org/project/menu_access

It looks like the "menu_access" suite of modules has quite a bit of
duplication with other modules, especially nodeaccess (note the lack
of an underscore). I'm kind of confused by the description, as it
seems like you can provide per-menu-item permissions, though those
should usually be calculated on a per-path basis automatically.
Hopefully any useful features can be merged in to other more popular
modules.

--Andrew