[development] Very concerned over Drupal's core development

Daniel F. Kudwien news at unleashedmind.com
Mon Apr 20 14:40:42 UTC 2009

> From: Karoly Negyesi
>
> I had concerns and I shared that with the community. I had no
> solutions. I stil do not have. I am not sure postponing
> Drupal 7 even further is the solution. Because then, as
> Gerhard says, what will you do when Drupal 7 gets out, send
> core development on vacation for two years?

Well, I asked myself the very same questions like you:

> This means less patches are written. [why?]
> Very, very few people touch actions/triggers, fields, filter system,
> openid or for that matter, menu just to name a few. [why?]

The most obvious that crosses my mind is: Most developers did not really
work with the current feature-set and APIs, they did not experience (and
suffer from) current limitations, and have no clear idea or vision of how
Drupal *should* really work.  Once this prerequisite is there, we will see
much more interest and traction in core development.

Releasing yet another new API, developers have to catch up with, means that
it will take them even longer to get into core development business.

sun