[development] Very concerned over Drupal's core development

Jakob Petsovits jpetso at gmx.at
Mon Apr 20 21:04:32 UTC 2009

On Monday 20 April 2009, Nathaniel Catchpole wrote:
> The only way that code contributions to core get measured is when Greg
> Knaddison parses commit logs and puts everything into a spreadsheet
> once or twice a year - our commit model also completely breaks sites
> like ohloh.

It's not the commit model that breaks Ohloh but the fact that we're using a
distributed version control workflow with a centralized one (CVS) as tool.
That's a mismatch, because most projects using centralized VCSs don't work
that way.

In fact, iirc then Linus Torvalds dropped CVS in favor of Bitkeeper
(later Git) because the former did not work with his development model.
Now they're working as a bunch of subsystem teams with each subsystem
maintainer keeping track of his version of the Linux kernel, while the final
word is still spoken by Linus who has a lot of say in terms of direction and
the "large picture" (or should I say "macro-problems"). Sound familiar?

Of course, even current DVCSs treat reviewed-by and approved-by as part of the
textual message instead of core concept. As long as it's standardized though,
Ohloh should be able to deal with it :)