[development] Very concerned over Drupal's core development

Daniel F. Kudwien news at unleashedmind.com
Tue Apr 21 08:42:54 UTC 2009

> Some have suggested giving subsystem maintainers commit
> access.  I am not sure that's a good idea, given Drupal's
> current architecture.
> Looking at the macro level and planning things
> out to ensure consistency and so forth is very important.  It
> also has a name, which is even dirtier to mention around here
> than "backward compatibility" but I shall do so
> anyway: A roadmap.

FWIW, it mostly agree with Larry's points.  But anyway.

You all lost me here.  I'm already considering whether the issue I face is
really my own, personal issue only.  I consider myself a contrib developer,
reviewing and providing "upstream" patches for core occasionally.  I have to
stop doing that, because I still have to rewrite contrib modules for new API
features in D6 and to improve them in general.  These are the applications I
(and the users of my modules) build Drupal sites with.  My time is limited
(I have a life as well), so I have to stop caring about D7/HEAD.

Regarding better WYSIWYG support in Drupal, someone else has to take over
the left side of the roadmap:
http://groups.drupal.org/node/6492/summary

Hopefully, the stuff that ends up in core will be compatible and useful for
Wysiwyg API in D7 in the end.  The same applies to some other modules.
Especially regarding UX and Drupal's administrative interface, I've lost
track and hope anyway already.  I can only hope that one will be able to
disable any oh-so-nifty-UX-widgets that may be added in D7.

Thanks to Karoly for bringing up this discussion.

sun