[development] Some of core to contrib?

Nathaniel Catchpole catch56 at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 20 23:23:29 UTC 2009

So we discussed this a lot in irc this evening and I personally like it a lot.

It's got a lot of advantages over simply dumping poll in contrib, or
giving chx commit access to menu.inc.

1. We're not giving additional commit access to subsystems, just to
user-facing optional core modules which don't require the same levels
of expertise in patch reviews as the database layer or FAPI.
2. All issues for these modules would still show up in the core issue
queue (hopefully, somehow).
3. We wouldn't break any APIs in the official core release
4. Development still happens in HEAD, with features and bug fixes
backported to 7.x-2.x and bug fixes only backported to 7.x.1-x. That
way, for these modules at least, there's a consistent release model,
parallel to core (apart from the 2.x branch), which they all follow -
so you know you're not going to get new features or API breakage in
7.x-1.8 or anything like that, and you're guaranteed an upgrade path
(unlike trying to mimic this with a fork in contrib and forward
porting).
5. The majority of improvements to these modules (which don't rely on
API changes elsewhere in core) would be available in a release within
a month or two of getting committed to HEAD, not a year or two - which
would provide many more incentives to contribute to them.
6. The 7.x-2.x branch being used on real sites (opt-in only, not
shipped with core), means that 8.x-1.x will be ultra-stable and
subject to lots of real-world usage - no-one clicks around core any
more now we have the test bot, now they pretty much would. This means
/more/ review of changes in HEAD before a release, not less. Our core
CMS-like modules really suffer for lack of this - comment, forum,
aggregator are all in a sorry state.

7. Nothing changes for the core-required modules or anything in /includes

It'd be more work than now, but work which people would actually be
able to see the benefits of a lot quicker, meaning it'd be much easier
to build up the teams which webchick was talking about to distribute
that work - and wouldn't require a change to the core development
cycle itself.

Nat