[development] Very concerned over Drupal's core development

David Metzler metzlerd at metzlerd.com
Tue Apr 21 00:47:38 UTC 2009

IMHO, we'd have to have a different stance on backward compatibility
if we were planning on shortening release cycles much.  The linux
Kernel does not require significant refactoring of code built on top
of it every 6 months. I'm still not sure if I have a migration path
identified for my universities drupal sites with D6, even though I've
already ported all of my modules to D6. It is possible that much of
the interesting work about extending drupal really is properly in
contrib and not in Core. The fact that most of what I hear being
touted as new features for drupal 6/7 are the movement of contrib
support into core is not necessarily a bad thing.  It''s pretty
proven code after all.  I think finding a pathway to move old stuff
out of core is not necessarily a bad idea either.  Strikes me as the
pathway for evolution of drupal.

I think think the right answer about drupal stagnating was really
about having Views, Panels, and WYSIWG api all going through major
refactoring on D6, all lagging significantly the D6 release. I know
it's why I'm not using my own D6 ported modules in any production
sites yet.

Dave