[development] Very concerned over Drupal's core development

Jakob Petsovits jpetso at gmx.at
Tue Apr 21 05:50:54 UTC 2009

On Monday 20 April 2009, Marijn Kruisselbrink wrote:
> On Monday 20 April 2009 23:19:03 Dries Buytaert wrote:
> > In fact, a lot of big projects, like the Linux kernel, Gnome, KDE,
> > Ubuntu, Fedora and Wordpress all switched to 6 month release cycles.
> > Mark Shuttleworth posted some good insights about that in a recent
> > blog post: http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/288.  I'm not
> > suggesting that we should switch to 6 month release cycles, I'm merely
> > bringing it up to get feedback on the idea.
>
> I don't think any of those projects have 6 month release cycles that break
> backwards compatibility, which I think major drupal releases do...

I think that's just another argument in favor of Robert's suggested move of
core modules to contrib. The Form/Fields/File/whatever APIs deserve longer
release cycles so that contrib has at least some chance to stick with feature
work for a single core version only.

However, for the modules built on top of the APIs (Forum, Aggregator, etc.)
nobody really cares about API compatibility, those are the ones that would
actually benefit from significantly shorter release cycles.

While I'm not yet convinced that stripping down Drupal to a bare framework is
the right approach, I do think that the two aspects of core should get
different treatment.

-- Jakob