[development] Very concerned over Drupal's core development

Earl Miles merlin at logrus.com
Tue Apr 21 06:45:20 UTC 2009

Steven Peck wrote:
> To my knowledge, every module removed from Drupal core has died.  I
> use several of the modules on Roberts list (blog, aggregator, blogapi)
> and if they were removed, then I would be out of luck as one of the
> few remaining 'hobbyist' users.
>
> And Stefan, I too miss the old front page where it wasn't all site
> implementations and Drupalcons but things people found interesting,
> but that's just what happened.

I don't believe this would be true if we were still packaging them
together, but treating them differently.

Think of the Drupal Framework as the Linux Kernel, and then the Drupal
distribution as Linux. The framework includes only the APIs -- node,
user, base object stuff. The foundation. Drupal then provides
applications built upon that foundation. It starts with just one:
Something resembling Drupal as we know it today. We split core, and we
devote effort to the most important projects. This might allow us to
better focus efforts, anyway. One of the issues I see is that core
itself is too big. Neither of the two committers really understand
everything they've been committing, lately. (If you doubt me...field API =)