[development] CVS Approval Policy: was Re: new features in D6 core?

Andrew Schulman andrex at alumni.utexas.net
Wed Nov 18 14:23:27 UTC 2009

> If the module is new it
> will get a thumbs up and he would get the go, if it's repetitive, the CVS
> owner will need to give good reasoning and then could be allowed to post it,
> and if he can't persuade anyone it would get rejected. Other module
> developers could suggest teaming up or perhaps point him to modules with
> similar functionality that he was unaware of as long as he has to post to
> the dev list before being able to create a new project node (kind of reminds
> me of the node limit module).

In principle this sounds like a good idea to me, but I wonder who's doing
the reviewing, who's doing the approving, and whether it would in fact work
as you describe.  Would the community enforce the standards you describe?
By some kind of informal agreement?

> I'm simply suggesting this to make sure modules don't spring up in the dark
> without anyone's knowledge rather than trying to oppose repetitive modules.
> Currently, CVS owners are free to add as many project nodes as they want
> when they get their CVS access. Which sounds wrong given that he got his
> access for creating one module.

You can see it either way.

You're right that there's an inconsistency.  When my original application
for a CVS account was denied, it seemed unfair to me that I could have
created the same module without any need for approval, if I'd already
gotten a CVS account for a different project.

On the other hand, the initial approval makes sure that the developer has a
useful and sound contribution to make.  After that they're initiated into
the community and its standards, and I think it's reasonable to expect them
to continue to abide by those standards.

Andrew.