[development] CVS Approval Policy: was Re: new features in D6 core?

Ashraf Amayreh mistknight at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 15:16:00 UTC 2009

> In principle this sounds like a good idea to me, but I wonder who's doing
> the reviewing, who's doing the approving, and whether it would in fact work
> as you describe.  Would the community enforce the standards you describe?
> By some kind of informal agreement?

Simply posting to the dev list to open up a dialogue concerning your module
will yield a discussion that will probably lean towards a yes or no. So yes,
it would be by some kind of informal agreement. Who would give permission to
create the project? I would say the same ppl who grant CVS access. It would
be a matter of incrementing a counter for the user.

> On the other hand, the initial approval makes sure that the developer has a
> useful and sound contribution to make.  After that they're initiated into
> the community and its standards, and I think it's reasonable to expect them
> to continue to abide by those standards.

I'm sure we all agree that the module boom is caused by those same
developers that were initiated. I'm not trying to avoid duplicates or
anything here, I'm simply laying out an option that would force highlighting
a potential project before it's magically created without anyone's knowledge
or consent.

I tend to agree with Greg here. And will add that while duplication
> may be a problem, the answer should not be to make it harder for
> people to contribute, but to make it easier to figure out why you
> should use one module over another. It may be a harder way to solve
> the original problem, but please don't make it harder than it already
> is for people to contribute.

I don't disagree with Greg and I don't see this as an additional barrier at
all, rather than creating a project in the dark without anyone's knowledge I
simply have to post to dev first to get approval. Is that a barrier? The
only person objecting to this would be someone who doesn't want to inform
the community before creating his project, this is exactly the person we
want to stop by enforcing permission per project rather than one permission
per unlimited # of projects.

Also note that this change is a very simple one that would require minimum
effort with huge benefits, enabling a module such as node limit for the
project content type, and creating a little script that would set its value
to the current # of projects per user could be all that is required. For CVS
admins it's a matter of incrementing the counter for a user if his module
suggestion gets approved on the dev list.

AA