[documentation] Manage inconsistency in themes

Kieran Lal kieran at civicspacelabs.org
Thu Nov 10 03:54:59 UTC 2005

On Nov 9, 2005, at 7:39 PM, Liza Sabater wrote:
>> The CS theme now supports several layouts:
>> 1) Columbus: http://cvs.drupal.org/viewcvs/*checkout*/drupal/
>> contributions/themes/civicspace/layouts/columbus/screenshot.png
>> 2) Declaration: http://cvs.drupal.org/viewcvs/*checkout*/drupal/
>> contributions/themes/civicspace/layouts/declaration/screenshot.png
>> 3) Federation: http://cvs.drupal.org/viewcvs/*checkout*/drupal/
>> contributions/themes/civicspace/layouts/federation/screenshot.png
>> 4) Republica: http://cvs.drupal.org/viewcvs/*checkout*/drupal/
>> contributions/themes/civicspace/layouts/republica/screenshot.png
>> 5) Wireframe: http://cvs.drupal.org/viewcvs/*checkout*/drupal/
>> contributions/themes/civicspace/layouts/wireframe/screenshot.png
>
> !?!?!
> Where are these themes? I've never seen them. Are these the new
> ones Trae is working on?

They are inside the CivicSpace theme here: http://drupal.org/files/
projects/civicspace-4.6.0.tar.gz

When you install the CS theme you will presented with those 5 choices
in the theme administration.

>> 5) Wireframe: http://cvs.drupal.org/viewcvs/*checkout*/drupal/
>> contributions/themes/civicspace/layouts/wireframe/screenshot.png
>
> Still do not understand the concept behind this.

http://www.iawiki.net/action=browse&id=WireFrames&oldid=WireFrame

Color, color grouping, typography, and graphics all have an impact on
how we experience a site.  If we want to focus on the information
architecture of a site we need to ask some questions. Do we have the
information we need on the site to accomplish the users goals? Is the
information in a workflow that support the users tasks?

To get an objective view of the information architecture we should
test the IA of design without color, color grouping, typography, and
graphics.  The wireframe theme strips down the basics of just black
and white.  It looks like you are creating a black wireframe on a
white background.

>> Giving people the layouts they want right out of the box is a good
>> way to help them not have to learn advanced CSS to use a tableless
>> theme.
>> The CS theme also provides a range of Styles: http://
>> cvs.drupal.org/viewcvs/drupal/contributions/themes/civicspace/
>> styles/ so people don't have to be
>> CSS masters.
>
> Have these been debugged? Democratica, Spreadfirefox and Lincoln's
> revenge were really buggy last time I used them. I chose to start
> with Friends Electric instead of Democratica for the YearlyKos
> design for that reason:

We cleared out the issue queue, but we are still working out the bugs.

Kieran