[documentation] Log and summary of August 8 IRC meeting

Addison Berry drupal at rocktreesky.com
Sat Aug 9 22:51:08 UTC 2008

Thanks to everyone who came to the IRC meeting. This is to give a
summary of the meeting to those who couldn't make it. The IRC log is
available here: http://pastebin.com/f49d408cf

This meeting was held on the Freenode IRC #drupal-docs channel on
Friday, August 8 at 16:00 GMT.

We hit everything on the agenda and the big take-aways were:
1) We will name the new book Getting Involved. The issue for deciding
the name (http://drupal.org/node/285811) has been changed to an issue
for creating the description paragraph that will appear on the
handbooks landing page. A number of people expressed that they want o
make it clear that the book is about getting help, how to give help
and how awesome the Drupal community is. ;-) Feel free to give it a
shot. Remember that it is one *short* paragraph similar to the other
books on http://drupal.org/handbooks. Have fun expressing yourself
concisely. ;-)

2) Several people have taken on lead for filling out various sections
of the new book outline. The issues are located here:
http://drupal.org/project/issues?projects=18753&text=Contrib%20Redesign:

The question of exactly what does "taking the lead" on these mean. In
summary:
1. look at the outline for the section in the issue
2. determine which existing pages should go there
3. mark up the outline indicating which pages will go where
4. make note of new pages we need to write

Some examples:
http://drupal.org/node/240251#comment-796689
http://drupal.org/node/240243#comment-951709

You can assign a section to yourself by selecting your name from the
"Assigned" dropdown when leaving a comment on an issue. Taking lead
does not mean you have to do it all your self. Feel free to team up
with others. Feel free to ping me (add1sun in the Drupal IRC channels)
or schedule a time and I will help anyone out with their section. You
can email me through my contact form: http://drupal.org/user/65088/contact

*** Also note: just because someone else has "claimed" a section does
not mean you can't help. Everyone is free to leave comments and
suggestions to help fill these out. Let's help each other and get this
done.

3) Next steps:
- We are aiming to get the section issues completed in the next 2
weeks. Then we will schedule a time, probably during DrupalCon Szeged,
to shift everything around.
- Plan the next IRC meeting before Szeged. (An email for this will go
out shortly.)
- Some issues were raised that need separate emails to the list.
(These will go out shortly.)

4) Discuss what to do with the existing About book. There are
basically two options on the table:
1. Create the new book in addition to About. Rework the About book
2. Have the new book replace the About book. Move non-contributing
kinds of things to Getting started

We discussed this briefly and tossed around some thoughts. This will
go out as a separate email for thorough discussion by the team before
a final decision is made. The folks in IRC were leaning towards option
#1.

That about wraps it up. Thanks to all.