[documentation] Summary of Aug. 21 IRC meeting

Addison Berry drupal at rocktreesky.com
Sat Aug 23 11:27:55 UTC 2008

Here is a short summary and link to the IRC logs for the Aug, 21
meeting. Thanks to everyone who came, especially the new folks! Our
next "meeting" will be the sprint on August 31. I'll be sending a
separate email out to the team with more information about the sprint
and how we will tie in folks that aren't in Szeged.

IRC log: http://pastebin.com/f5f2a83cd

We had 2 agenda items on deck from the mail list and 2 added at the
beginning. The final agenda of 4 items:
1. Getting Involved handbook status
2. Doc sprint ideas
3. Getting started guide issues
4. Programming best practices page

1. Getting Involved handbook status
	Basically we looked at the queue (http://drupal.org/project/issues?text=Contrib
  redesign:&states=1,16,8,13,14,15,2,4), noted that we will have work
to do and reviewed what needs to be done for those that were new or
not clear about what the issues entailed. We have gotten a bunch of
work done on the issues and most of them are CNW or CNR. We have a few
issues that still need attention. We will keep working on these
through DrupalCon week and hopefully we can reorg soon. We cana't
reorg til the issues are sussed out though.

2. Doc sprint ideas
	I posted a starter list of both tasks to do during the sprint as well
as larger discussions that need to happen. The floor was opened for
others to add to the list. I have posted the results (plus a few more
I thought of after) on the DrupalCon site (http://szeged2008.drupalcon.org/node/1629
). Please feel free to add to the list either in that forum post or on
the mail list.

3. Getting started guide issues
	This was raised by Josh and so we *briefly* discussed the issue we
have with the Guide being in DocBook that is not in CVS and what that
means for updating the guide. (I.e. either we can't update pages
without a long process or if we do update the pages, then the PDF and
handbook are out of sync. Also not all site maintainers, that have
rights to edit these pages, realize they shouldn't edit them.) This is
a topic for discussion on the sprint list so we will delve into this
conversation more at that time.

4. Programming best practices page
	aj045 has created a new page (http://drupal.org/node/287350) and
wanted to get feedback on the idea of it. This is a general
programming best practices guide. The consensus seemed to be that it
was a good idea but that it should try to stay as narrowly focused as
possible.

- Addi (add1sun)