[documentation] Doc Sprint: Aug. 31 7:00 - 19:00 GMT

Addison Berry drupal at rocktreesky.com
Thu Aug 28 11:13:01 UTC 2008

The venue is available to us from 07:00 to 15:00 GMT. That doesn't
give reasonable time for folks in North America to take part so even
though we'll need to leave the venue I plan to find an internet
connection and bring the sprint back online from 16:00 to 19:00 GMT.
This evening bit may be a lot more fluid since I don't know where I
will be and when I can settle down with internet. So if you don't see
me on from 16:00 to 19:00, that will just be how things roll. :-/

The plan is to be very task focused in the morning and then the
afternoon/evening will be more focused on discussion of some of the
bigger topics. Of course, tasks can keep going all day, but I want to
have a decent number of folks focused on the discussions when they
come up so that we can hammer on them as a team.

Hopefully we can accomplish task #1 early on in the day and as others
show up to help we can have a handy doc page to point folks to. I (and
I hope others as well) will be available to answer questions and give
guidance so please don't feel like you have to know how to do anything
or even what you will do before you come (either in person or online).
The main idea here is for people to learn and get to know each other
while hopefully getting some work done. ;-)

Here is a list of the tasks we have on deck:
================================
** High priority
Create a docs task list/how to for common tasks
Review the doc team style guide
- Update the headings page and any other outdated pages
- Add a new page re: guidelines for handbook page screenshots
** Stuff that needs doing
Issue queue cleanup (removing old/invalid issues, fixing and closing
easy ones)
Reset doc issue components (an email about this change will be going
out later today)
Roll comments into the handbook and delete unnecessary comments
Adding screenshots
Section reviews (esp. good for newbies) Read and verify that sections
make sense and howtos work.
For coder types: api.drupal.org fixes and code review

There will be several topics up for discussion. I will send an
individual email to the list for each one. Folks can weigh in on the
list if they can't make the sprint. We probably won't get to all of
them during sprint day and the discussions will surely continue on the
list after the sprint.

Getting started section and maintaining "core" docs
Ideas to manage i18n (mostly focused on the "core" docs and related to
that solution at this time. i18n of regular handbook pages is further
off, but open for discussion.)
"Versioned" sections that apply to more than version
4.7 and older docs/the Archive book
Ways to incentivize/acknowledge doc contributions

See ya there!
Addi (add1sun)