[documentation] Where do old handbook pages go to die?

Benjamin Melançon pwgdarchive at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 14:09:22 UTC 2008

I think we should not ever delete pages and break links and cut off
the disturbing number of 4.6 users out there, but move pages to a
deprecated book, or section of the book, and that is the only place
(aside from old forum posts etc.) that they are referred to on
Drupal.org.

I feel very strongly that deleting pages so that the links are broken
goes against the way of the internet.  And for a change I'm not
entirely alone:

Jakob Nielsen: Fighting Linkrot
http://www.useit.com/alertbox/980614.html

World Wide Web Consortium:  Cool URIs don't change
http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI

I haven't done much of anything yet so I don't have a voice but could
moving pages out of the main handbook structure, rather than deleting
them, be official policy for obsolete pages?

Thanks!

benjamin

Agaric Design Collective
Open Source Free Software Web Development
http://agaricdesign.com/
ask at agaricdesign.com
774-286-1770