[documentation] how to upgrade from 5.x to 6.x

Steven Peck sepeck at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 23:50:31 UTC 2008

I have not always disabled contrib modules (usually I do) but I have
always started with a clean directory and Drupal core only (and set to
blue marine).  Then added contrib modules back in, either one at a
time or in groups depending on how inter-related the functionality of
the modules were.

So far it has seemed the safest and least trouble prone to me an d my
admittedly non-developer troubleshooting skills.  If something doesn't
work, then the most recently added contrib module is something to look
at.

Now, this thread shows there are advanced and beginner ways to upgrade
a site.  I think we should be cautious and tend towards the simplistic
beginner side of things in the base level docs, but perhaps we can
also offer an 'advanced' option with caveats and warnings about
troubleshooting complexities?

Steven