[documentation] Videos for Drupal 6

Greg Knaddison - GVS Greg at GrowingVentureSolutions.com
Mon Jan 28 19:10:48 UTC 2008

Howdy Documenters,

I have two topics I want to discuss.  First - organization of the
Videocasts section of the D.o handbooks - http://drupal.org/videocasts

I think it would make sense to re-organize this by major release of
Drupal.  I.e. a top level page for 5.x, 6.x, and 4.7 and earlier.
Gabor and I discussed this in IRC today as a way to help make it easy
to find the 6.x videos that will be linked form the 6.0 release
announcement ( http://drupal.org/drupal-6.0 if you want to help
editing it).  Some of the pages in that section are "timeless" like
how to create or apply a patch - that is valuable regardless of Drupal
version.  But some are very specific to version (upgrading) which
makes me think that we should split the version specific videos into
book pages for each version and then "general videos" will stay at
their current locations.

Here's the current hierarchy:

-Videos

-- Overviews
--- New Features in Drupal6
--- New i18n and l10n features in Drupal 6
--- Drupal 5 Features
--- What's new in Drupal 5
--- Drupal Features and Overview

-- Installation and Upgrading
--- Installing Drupal 6
--- Installing Drupal 5
--- Upgrading to Drupal 5
--- Dudertown Installing 4.7
--- Installing Drupal 4.7

My proposed hierarchy:

-- Introduction to Drupal6
--- New Features in Drupal6
--- New i18n and l10n features in Drupal 6
--- Installing Drupal 6
--- Upgrading to Drupal6

-- Introduction to Drupal5
--- Drupal 5 Features
--- What's new in Drupal 5
--- Installing Drupal 5
--- Upgrading to Drupal 5

-- Introduction to Drupal4.7
--- Dudertown Installing 4.7
--- Installing Drupal 4.7

The rest of the handbooks are less complete on a "per version" basis
and I think should be left as-is.  There's also less that changes
about, for example, blocks from 4.7->5.x->6.x

Second, I want to coordinate on making sure that we get them all done.
1. Installing Drupal6 - done by Addi -
http://www.lullabot.com/videocasts/installing-drupal-6
2. New features of Drupal6 - done by me (will redo this week) -
http://www.masteringdrupal.com/screencast/new-features-drupal-6
3. i18n and l10n features of Drupal6 - done by me -
http://www.masteringdrupal.com/screencast/new-i18n-l10n-features-drupal-6
4. Upgrading from Drupal 5.x to 6.x - I believe I will be doing this one
5. Anything else specific to the release?

I know there are plenty of other ideas related to videos for Drupal in
general - I'm just trying to make sure we've covered the most
important videos for the new release process.

Thanks,
Greg

--
Greg Knaddison