[documentation] Need CVS + Drupal Issues guidance: How to help fix API documentation formatting

Steven Jones darthsteven at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 11:10:49 UTC 2008

I wouldn't say that node_invoke_nodeapi 'defined' the nodeapi hook. It
invokes it, because module_invoke_all can't handle references.

But I think that for people looking for how to use the nodeapi hook
are much more likely to tap 'hook_nodeapi' into a.d.o. You don't need
knowledge of how the hook is invoked to implement it, you just need to
know what parameters you get etc.

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 10:55 AM, Sean Burlington
<sean at practicalweb.co.uk> wrote:
> Steven Jones wrote:
>> But hook_nodeapi for example won't be in core, because there is no
>> 'hook' module in core to implement them, the 'hook' is just a
>> placeholder. So instead, there's a special bit of the contrib CVS repo
>> that has extra documentation for these 'phantom' functions. This gets
>> checked out to the directories parsed by a.d.o too.
>>

> Slight aside (this doesn't address CVS issues)
>
> ...hook_nodeapi isn't in core - but node_invoke_nodeapi is
>
> - and this is what defines the hook
>
> I wonder how hard it would be to alter the api module to recognise hooks
> in this way - and then to add the references (eg forum_nodeapi)
>
> At the moment the only link between these is generated by the comment
> "implementation of hook_nodeapi"
>
> I might have a look at doing this...
>
> --
>
> Sean Burlington