[documentation] Open editing/limiting creation?

Angela Byron drupal-docs at webchick.net
Fri Nov 7 05:30:36 UTC 2008

On 11/6/08 10:25 PM, Addison Berry wrote:
> So, for now, I'm thinking about having a "holding" book. Basically we
> could let people create new pages, but they would not get to choose
> the location and it would go into a new book for this purpose. (We
> would completely restrict the ability to choose a parent for folks
> that edit as well, if they aren't on the docs team, so that people
> don't create, then move.) I guess I'm thinking of a published
> moderation queue. Then doc team and site maintainers could check the
> book regularly, quickly deleting test and spam. We can assess good
> book pages and place them appropriately. While they are "holding" they
> will still be accessible to search and to authors who wish to improve
> the page. Now I haven't thought it all through but I just wanted to
> posit the idea and see what folks think - good, bad, different ideas.

I'll preface this by saying that I'm normally Ms. No Barriers to
Contribution. This is a very good compromise suggestion.

However. We should also think about "what if?" for create book page
permissions globally locked down to only docs team members.

This would offer several benefits:

1. No more spam/test pages appearing in the getting started guide, which
is most peoples' first impressions of Drupal's documentation. Not cool.
Of course, your proposal would deal with this too, but it requires code.

2. Docs team members have a good sense of what books are available and
where things go, because they have their heads in this all the time. New
users typically don't, so they'll stick stuff in a totally different
section or duplicates pages that already exist. Requiring non-docs team
members to add an issue for pages they'd like to add, with the text of
the page in there, would allow docs team members to review new additions
and head these situations off at the pass (oh, actually this page
already exists at X. Why not edit that so that it includes the nice
clarifications you have here?). In this way it would sort of be like the
patch contributor / module maintainer roles we have with development
projects.

3. With editing open to anyone, there is no longer a big incentive for
joining the docs team, I don't think. While the docs team at the moment
is a powerhouse of awesomeness, over time people get busy with things,
and it's important to constantly have an influx of new blood. So making
a "Ok, we trust you enough based on your edit contributions to give you
create page rights now" thing might be a nice way to reward those who
are doing a great job.

Mind you, I've obviously had my head in a totally different space the
past few months, so I could be wildly off base.

--
Join us at Do It With Drupal!
A large scale, curated education event