[documentation] Problem With One of the Main CVS Pages

Shai Gluskin shai at content2zero.com
Wed Nov 19 22:59:37 UTC 2008

Hi gang,

This is about http://drupal.org/node/320

The title of the page is: *Checking out from the main repository

*The assumption on that page is that you want to check out HEAD. There is
one small section which says, "If you want to check out a specific version
of Drupal..."

I believe the assumption of the page should be opposite, that you want to
check out a specific version of Drupal. That is how you can check out the
latest stable release.

The use-case for checking out HEAD is for core committers or folks testing
patches to core. That is very important. However, I think the vast majority
of people wanting to get their feet wet in CVS (and therefore coming to this
handbook page) want to check out the latest *stable release* in order to
make it easier to upgrade the next time an updated stable release is
deployed.

I'd like to edit the page so that the primary instructions are for checking
out a specific version and the secondary instructions are for folks wanting
to checkout HEAD.

I thought this was a big enough change that I wanted to run it by others.

Thanks,

Shai