[documentation] Proposal to deprecate the docs mailing list

Ryan Cross drupal at ryancross.com
Fri Nov 21 01:58:40 UTC 2008

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 12:15 PM, Addison Berry <drupal at rocktreesky.com>wrote:

> On Nov 20, 2008, at 7:40 PM, Joshua Brauer wrote:
> >>>

> > In sort my vote would be that the email list should remain the
> > primary workspace and wiki pages, when appropriate, can serve a
> > valuable purpose as a supplement.
>
> Well the main problem is that we can't "occasionally" use wiki pages
> as a supplement. You have to be a member to use a wiki page and if we
> open up membership then folks can create any kind of group content
> which will end up spawning some discussions on g.d.o and some on the
> mail list.

I think it would be worth while to open up the group membership and see if
there is a natural migration towards them. In the same experimental mindset
as opening up the editing rights to everyone, lets try it out and see how it
goes. Yes, there may be problems with cross posting and etc, but lets see
what people gravitate towards and the evolutionary tendency.

I completely agree with Josh's assesment (especially about wiki competency)
and I am not a fan of deprecating the mailing list, but I'm willing to let
the masses speak and change my thinking. I would also point out that often
the reason for people's reluctance to joining a mailing list is the
perceived high traffic of them (which it usually isn't) and it would be
quite easy to setup the mailing lists to have a better archive interface by
joining services like mail-archive.org or nabble, so I don't think those are
solid reasons for deprecating the list.

One possibility would be to initially setup the group to only allow new
members to collaborate on wikis, so we can use it as a supplement (instead
of a full discussion forum).