[documentation] Proposal to deprecate the docs mailing list

Angela Byron drupal-docs at webchick.net
Fri Nov 21 02:28:30 UTC 2008

On 20-Nov-08, at 7:40 PM, Joshua Brauer wrote:

> Comments below. I'm NOT a fan of the idea of deprecating the mailing
> list for the reasons below.

While I was originally in favour of the move to g.d.o on the grounds
that most people find web interfaces more friendly than e-mail, I
actually found myself nodding along with basically all of Josh's points.

If the main idea is to have central rallying points for organizing
stuff, then... why not do so right on Drupal.org?

For example, http://drupal.org/please-review-my-patch is a sort of "ad-
hoc" page that members of the Drupal 7 core development team use to
escalate issues up to me that are either "quickies" that could be
committed while I'm on one of my many daily phone calls, or that
really need core maintainer intervention because they are dead-locked
in discussion or need architectural advice. And, unlike
groups.drupal.org, drupal.org has no problem displaying the revision
log: http://drupal.org/node/309321/revisions. And finally, it's really
nice because you can do short-hand [#xxxxx] to automatically link to
relevant issues.

Not sure if this will address the current needs of the docs team, but
it's worth a thought?

But the bottom line is that g.d.o's current subscription and
collaboration options are pretty lackluster compared to the power e-
mail affords; until the situation improves, we are probably jumping
ship too soon. The Documentation issue queue can be used for web-based
conversations and comes complete with a very clear signal of whether
an issue is dealt with or not, and handbook pages work better than
g.d.o anyway for wiki-style collaboration.

-Angie