[documentation] Proposal to deprecate the docs mailing list

Addison Berry drupal at rocktreesky.com
Fri Nov 21 03:02:31 UTC 2008

On Nov 20, 2008, at 9:28 PM, Angela Byron wrote:

> If the main idea is to have central rallying points for organizing
> stuff, then... why not do so right on Drupal.org?
>
> For example, http://drupal.org/please-review-my-patch is a sort of
> "ad-
> hoc" page that members of the Drupal 7 core development team use to
> escalate issues up to me that are either "quickies" that could be
> committed while I'm on one of my many daily phone calls, or that
> really need core maintainer intervention because they are dead-locked
> in discussion or need architectural advice. And, unlike
> groups.drupal.org, drupal.org has no problem displaying the revision
> log: http://drupal.org/node/309321/revisions. And finally, it's really
> nice because you can do short-hand [#xxxxx] to automatically link to
> relevant issues.
>
> Not sure if this will address the current needs of the docs team, but
> it's worth a thought?

Hm. Hm. Well, yeah it works in certain ways, but the main uses we have
for wiki pages is for temporary stuff, like drafting up a forum post
announcement to go to the front page or working out a new outline for
a section of the handbook. How would we handle not cluttering up with
lots and lots of these kind of pages that will never be used as real
handbook pages? I guess we could just have a doc team book. That isn't
as "stumble-upon-able" by casual contributors (which is one of my
goals). Hm. The only other disadvantage would be that there is no
email notification from handbook pages, but at least people could see
them in their d.o tracker, which would be nice.

I still feel like that is harder for casual contributors to notice and
get involved, but yeah, we could give that go in terms of at least
being able to work together. Something to consider.