[documentation] Proposal to deprecate the docs mailing list (HansBKK)

Shai Gluskin shai at content2zero.com
Fri Nov 21 05:07:00 UTC 2008

Hans and Documenters,

The notifications in the queue are *better* than g.d.o. in my opinion. But I
still vote for g.d.o. + advocating for improvements at g.d.o.

The problems I have with using the queue for docs group processing are:

   1. The queue's appropriate focus is task/response, not designed for
   discussion. When there is a discussion in the queue, half the time someone
   will interrupt you and say, "that's a duplicate" -- or "start a new issue."
   I like those people. They impose order in a zone where people are trying to
   get things done. It's not for open discussion
   2. It takes newbies a while to learn the queue
   3. I think the pics/avatar possibility on g.d.o is really important.
   Seeing people's faces, or even their avatar's reminds me to think more of
   the other people involved, and not just the back-and-forth of words.

[p.s. -- the first time I tried posting it got rejected "waiting moderation"
because it was more than 40K. This was do just to the quoting, requoting...
one of the disasters of e-mail, though at least gmail has made that better
on the UI side - but not on the back end. One more reason to go web-based!]

Shai