[documentation] Ordering of Major Admin Sections in Getting Started Guide

Shai Gluskin shai at content2zero.com
Sun Nov 23 21:48:23 UTC 2008

Hi Folks,

Obviously when discussing D6 administration, the major sections of Drupal's
administration screen will be the organizing principle in presenting the
material.

Right now the order those sections are discussed on the handbook page are
different from the order in the book menu. I will make sure that will be
consistent.

But this raises another question. What should the order of those major admin
sections be?

The order I like best is the one that the Drupal Administration Menu
Module<http://drupal.org/project/admin_menu>uses. Since core never
lays them out sequentially, but rather in columns
that you can read down or across, I thought it would be reasonable to use
admin_menu's order. And it is a hugely popular module, so it would reinforce
something that people are likely to see when they get around to installing
that module.

Here is the order:

   1. Content management
   2. Site building
   3. Site configuration
   4. User Management
   5. Reports

Anybody have a disagreement with this order?

If anyone wants to help out on the D6 Getting Started Guide, let me know. I
know Heather is working on it. I'm just trying to provide a little guidance.

Thanks,

Shai