[drupal-support] automatically do database backups?

Andrew Cohill cohill at designnine.com
Thu Apr 14 11:17:34 UTC 2005

On Apr 14, 2005, at 5:57 AM, Anisa wrote:

> So, the other day, my server's database completely crashes.  They
> restored it, but you know..  scary stuff.  And of course, while I
> could imagine files mysteriously disappearing, and kept backups of all
> that, I never thought about the database, so I was backupless.

It's not an immediate solution for this question, but I use a shared
hosting service that provides cpanel as the administrative tool for
sites.  One of cpanel's options is to do a one click full backup, which
you can then ftp to another site.

I'm currently trying to find the script cpanel uses to do the backup so
I can run a cron job on it.  I already have a script that ftps from a
remote machine once a day to grab the most recent backup file.

Andrew

Andrew Michael Cohill, Ph.D.
Information architect

Design Nine provides technology master planning services, community
network planning,  technology audits, and telecommunications project
management to communities and organizations trying to make wise
technology and telecommunications expenditures.  Design Nine represents
the interests of the organization or community, rather than the
interests of vendors.

Visit the Design Nine News page for frequently updated news and
commentary on technology issues.
  http://www.designnine.com/news/

Design Nine, Inc.                        http://www.designnine.com/
Blacksburg, Virginia