[drupal-support] automatically do database backups?

Thatguywhowon'tgivehisname brother_of_karamazov at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 14 21:49:30 UTC 2005

Here's what I do:

cd /home/www
tar --totals -cpf /home/www/backups/www.domain.org.tar
 www.domain.org
mysqldump -u root -h localhost -p"password" drupal >
/home/www/backups/drupal_dump.sql
ftp -n </home/www/backups/ftpcommands
mail -s "Backup Success" email at domain.com <
/home/www/backups/mailtext

The tar backs up the directories into a tar file
The mysqldump creates a mysql dump of the drupal
database to a .sql file

I then FTP these files to my backup server and email
myself a message

I saved this as backup.cron and placed it in my
/etc/cron.daily directory.