[drupal-support] favicon.ico problem revisited

Gunther Herzog storysmith at softhome.net
Fri Aug 12 16:21:54 UTC 2005

Hello drupal-support,

  Sorry if this is a repeat of something covered
  on-site, but I was unable to find a solution to
  the problem there with a search for "favicon"...

  The problem: I installed Drupal as my site root,
  using the default .htaccess and "friendly" paths
  (no ? query).

  Unfortunately, my favicon.ico file became
  inaccessible. Since a direct access to the the
  favicon.ico file resulted in "access denied", my
  thinking is that this may be the first thing
  that needs to be tackled. After all, if I cannot
  access the file directly, how will the browser
  be able to pull it in, even if it knows about
  it's existence?

  My first step: modify .htaccess as follows...

  # ====[start of sample code]====
  RewriteEngine on

  # bypass rewrites on icon request
  RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} "favicon.ico"
  RewriteRule (.*) $1 [L]
  # ====[end of sample code]====

  That patch seems to work. Partially. At least
  now I can access the icon directly, as in...

  http://InsertSiteNameHere/favicon.ico

  Unfortunately, the browsers I'm testing with
  STILL won't show the icon consistently. I've
  restarted, cleared caches, and set to check for
  page updates with each request. With the
  following results:

  Microsoft Internet Explorer: NO ICON
  Mozilla 1.7.x: NO ICON
  FireFox 1.0: HURRAH! MY ICON SHOWS!

  Mind you, the above browsers ALL show icons for
  other sites, just not mine :(

  I did some research and found that there is an
  additional directive that can be added to HTML
  to at least suggest to a browser that there is a
  favicon to be had...

  <!--[start sample of code]-->
  <HEAD>
  <LINK REL="SHORTCUT ICON"
       HREF="/~your_directory/logo.ico">
  </HEAD>
  <!--[end of sample code]-->

  Since this needs to go in the HTML header, I'm
  wondering where it should go... is there source
  for header generation in Drupal core? Or should
  that mod go in a theme?

  Reference sources:
  http://chami.com/tips/internet/110599I.html
  http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_rewrite.html