[drupal-support] Tell-a-Friend vs Email-This-Page

Gunther Herzog storysmith at softhome.net
Fri Aug 12 16:33:48 UTC 2005

Hello drupal-support,

  There seem to be two modules in CVS that are at
  cross-purposes, and I'm wondering if anyone has
  a preference of one over the other?

  1) Which is more likely to be integrated with
  future modules. For instance, I'd like to use a
  feature like this in conjunction with the
  "invite" module.

  2) There seems to be a glaring omission here...
  should there not be a maintained "do not email"
  list? These outbound emails should at least have
  a link that the recipient can follow so that any
  future notices are blocked. I would not want my
  domain name being added to spam filters.

  3) As a simpler alternative, what if the
  tell-a-friend link on a page is a simple
  "mailto:" url with subject and message body
  filled in. That way each individual surfer is
  using their own ISP's SMTP server, the "FROM:"
  will be from the recipient's friend, and they
  have the option of modifying/personalizing the
  email before it goes out. The only caveat I can
  think of is.. besides Microsoft Outlook, how
  many email clients support the following type of
  link...

  mailto:somebody at fakeisp.nowhere?subject=This%20And%20That&Body=A%20Sample%20Message

  4) What if this were made into some kind of
  incentive/contest? In addition to support for #2
  above, have a way to record who sent a visitor
  to the site, by adding a tracking method to the
  URL (similar to affiliates). Then have an
  "effectiveness" contest... a score based on a
  ratio of how many invites / how many responses.

--
Best regards,
 Gunther                          mailto:storysmith at softhome.net