[drupal-support] can drupal do yahoo groups?

Skip Taylor avskip at gmail.com
Sat Aug 13 07:56:39 UTC 2005

Stan,
 I had about 6 Yahoo Groups before I met Drupal.
 I moved all of them to the Drupal based forums on my site. A few users
wanted a mailing list so I gave them that functionality with Mailman. Oddly
enough most of the users who were complaining that they needed a mailing
list now prefer the Drupal forums and the users that went to the mailing
list are wondering where everyone went!
 However, there are some of my people that cannot (due to disabilities)
navigate the forums well. Most use Speech Recognition and still have
problems. So I'm working with these modules in Drupal to make a
bi-directional communication between a forum and a Mailman mailing list:
 1) Listhandler
2) Mail Alias
3) Mailhandler
 I'm still testing but it's working so far using those 3 modules on my
sandbox system. It seems that it should work with any mailing list software
to and from a Drupal forum though.
 The problem I have with PhpBB is even though it is good software and very
popular, it's too popular with the "let's spread mayhem" crowd. I just spent
the last weekend helping clear a set of trojan's from a PHPBB's Forum index
page. I guess I'm just too serious about my site for those games. I'm
unaware of any tie-in software between PhpBB and Drupal however.
 There is another problem I've found with mailing list servers. The majority
of them require root access to install or get them to work after the
install. If you're using a shared server it's not possible for you to put
most of them on your system. You may have to get the host company to do it
if they will and you might still have problems.
 One other factor I had in mind was that I wanted all relevant material in
one place and searchable as many people use my lists/site as reference
material.
 Hope that's of help.
 Skip