[support] Hi-Jacked Email Identity (possibly OT?)

Gunther Herzog storysmith at softhome.net
Wed Dec 7 16:34:24 UTC 2005

Hello,

  I wonder if anyone else has experienced the
  following phenomenon, and whether or not it is
  Drupal-related, and might possibly have an idea
  as to the next course of action to take...

  The following did not occur until AFTER I
  started using Drupal (a few months ago), though
  I have had my site and domain name for several
  years.

  Essentially, what I keep getting on a
  more-than-daily basis is emails with

  SUBJ: Delivery Status (failure)
  FROM: postmaster@

  Following the @ would be the domain of NUMEROUS
  domains that were hit, with attempted delivery
  to hundreds of email addressees. And that's just
  the bogus ones--who knows what actually got
  through.

  My domain is now being filtered by MSN's
  anti-spam and who knows how many others. I am
  angry enough to offer any interested lawyer 100%
  of the awarded fines in return for assistance in
  tracking these people down and filing a
  lawsuit.

  As to Drupal... at first I thought it might be
  that one of the add-on modules I'd installed was
  insecure. Before diving into the code, I simply
  disabled Email-This-Page module and Subscribe
  module. And the problem still persists. My next
  idea would be to pull down the entire site and
  put up a simple "Down for Maintenance" page and
  see if the problem persists.

  Any ideas, folks?

  PS if you feel this is too off-topic and not
  Drupal related, go ahead and email me privately
  instead.

--
Best regards,
 Gunther                          mailto:storysmith at softhome.net