[support] too many connections

Richard Archer drupal.org at juggernaut.com.au
Tue Dec 27 23:42:45 UTC 2005

At 5:29 PM -0500 27/12/05, puregin wrote:

>Interesting... I could see that happening in certain
>situations.  I guess this would depend on the traffic
>profile you're seeing and your apache configuration.

If your server is dedicated to hosting Drupal and there is
only one or two databases in use then persistent connections
may be useful.

I have 100 databases on my server and if I enable persistent
connections mysql starts throwing "too many connections"
errors after about 8 hours of operation.

I profiled performance before disabling pconnect and the
peformance hit was about 0.001 seconds per connect. And
that's on a 6 year old server... on modern hardware you
would hardly notice it.

 ...R.