[drupal-support] Again on the "remember me" option

Mark Quinn cheeky.mini at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 14:24:22 UTC 2005

> To solve this problem I had to directly edit the php.ini file in /etc/
> So I searched for the session.cookie_lifetime and set it to 2000000 instead
> of 0 (the previous value).

Your provider, or yourself, has dissalowed the use of htaccess files.
It is a feature that needs to be enabled in apache's own config.
See http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/howto/htaccess.html

> Anyway, setting the php.ini file solved the problem of the cookie. I use
> Firefox 1.0 as browser and I can see that there's a cookie expiring in May,
> about three months from now and exactly following the value in the php.ini.

yes, this sounds about right

> Now the session is somewhat saved. I can shut down the browser, reopen it
> and I'm still logged in. But if I don't go back within an hour or so I have
> to relog *again*. So the cookie basically works for some time but then
> vanishes in the void. Absolutely ignoring the fact that it should last at
> least THREE MONTHS.

Have you tried this in any other browsers or operating systems? Be
sure it's not a preference setting in a browser to ditch cookies at
closedown. or a setting to not disk store cookies. Try it in a pretty
vanilla IE on a different computer.

I created an account on your server and can confirm that it
succesfully kept me logged in after closing down my browser and
restarting. (You may delete the account called 'cheeky' if you like)