[drupal-support] User authentication script...

Gerhard Killesreiter killesreiter at physik.uni-freiburg.de
Sun Jul 31 15:29:16 UTC 2005

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005, Leo Burd wrote:

> I'm new to PHP and Drupal and I wonder how hard it would be to write a
> script to authenticate a user using drupal's authentication mechanism.
> Ideally, I'd like to pass a user name and password to that script and
> receive a True/False depending on whether or not that user name/password
> matches the ones of a user registered in my site.  The script would be
> called from either the unix shell or from another application.

Not hard.

Call user_load($array) where $array is an array that looks like ('name'
=> $name, 'pass' => $pass). If the returend object has an item uid, then
you were successfull.

> In addition to that, depending on the complexity, I also would like to
> have a script to check if a certain user belongs to a specified organic
> group (og).

Look in og.module and call the responsible function. Otherwise you'll
need to query the node_acess table directly.

> Any hints on how to implement any of those scripts?  Are there examples
> of scripts like those that I could have a look at?

There are some exapmple script that come with the devel.module in the
generate subdirectory. Those are mainly for inserting stuff, though.

Cheers,
	Gerhard