[drupal-support] Mass mailer funding

Gerhard Killesreiter killesreiter at physik.uni-freiburg.de
Wed Jun 1 11:39:09 UTC 2005

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005, [utf-8] Bèr Kessels wrote:

> his morning i rewrote forummail from CS. I must find out about the
> licence (it was original under some very odd licence)

=:)

> In any way: it now works nice and dandy with mlmmj and (ez)mmlm At
> least the first works very fine. Probalby possible to run on more
> systems, because i made the commandline system flexible (someone
> should do a security review though :) )

That is why I would exceedingly prefer a module that does not depend on
calling anything from the command line. Also, mlmmj and mmlm are even
less known than Sympa and thus less likely to be installed anywhere.

> * I invesitgated about 50 tools on fresmeat for mailinglist
> handling, but they were all either:

> * In some strange progamming language, unavailable on most v-hosts (think
> python etc)

Python, isn't _that_ strange. Mailman is in python, too.

> * Performing bad (rule-of-thumb: scripts are ill-suited for mailinglist
> managing)

True. (Although Smartlist is still used)

> * Far too bloated (providing fancy frontends etc)
>
> (ez)mlmmj are often used, but require qmail. mlmmj does not require that.
>
> In a nutshell: it works, forum integration is possible, with extra
> modules installed, and basic subscriptions for mailings work.

> downside: all configuration of mailinglists /must/ be done on the
> server,

I think that is what the people who indicated interest in a sympa.module
would like to avoid. I still need to investigate whether this would be
possible.

> its too insecure to make drupal write all the config files no the
> server, IMO.

> I want to upload it to my sandbox, once i get the licence issues sorted out.
>
> anyone else interested in this path for mass-mailing?

Darix had suggested mlmmj to me as well and I turned him down. My
opinion hasn't changed.

Even if only the subscriber database for a server-defined mailing list
could be managed, integration on the SQL level is a) more elegant and b)
more secure.

Don't know about mlmmj, but Sympa is also very nicely documented (120
pages). I'll need to read a couple more pages to write the proposal. ;)

Cheers,
	Gerhard