[drupal-support] Mass mailer funding

Bèr Kessels berdrupal at tiscali.be
Wed Jun 1 08:31:09 UTC 2005

his morning i rewrote forummail from CS. I must find out about the licence (it
was original under some very odd licence)

In any way: it now works nice and dandy with mlmmj and (ez)mmlm At least the
first works very fine. Probalby possible to run on more systems, because i
made the commandline system flexible (someone should do a security review
though :) )

* I invesitgated about 50 tools on fresmeat for mailinglist handling, but they
were all either:
* In some strange progamming language, unavailable on most v-hosts (think
python etc)
* Performing bad (rule-of-thumb: scripts are ill-suited for mailinglist
managing)
* Far too bloated (providing fancy frontends etc)

(ez)mlmmj are often used, but require qmail. mlmmj does not require that.

In a nutshell: it works, forum integration is possible, with extra modules
installed, and basic subscriptions for mailings work.
downside: all configuration of mailinglists /must/ be done on the server, its
too insecure to make drupal write all the config files no the server, IMO.

I want to upload it to my sandbox, once i get the licence issues sorted out.

anyone else interested in this path for mass-mailing?

Op dinsdag 31 mei 2005 18:45, schreef Gerhard Killesreiter:
> On Tue, 31 May 2005, Eric Scouten wrote:
> > Andrew Cohill wrote:
> > >
> > > I wonder if the Drupal community itself could fund some of this work.
> > > Suppose 50 people agreed to donate $25 USD to help fund mailing
> > > list/Drupal integration?  Is that too much? Too little?  Could we use
> > > the Drupal fund as the fiscal agent for user community projects?
> >
> > Count me in as well. I'd be happy to have a better (read: integrated)
> > solution for mailing lists.
>
> This starts to get interesting from an economic point of view as well.
> ;-)
>
> I'll have a second look at Sympa and draft a proposal. My current idea
> is to "simply" duplicate most/all of Sympa's user and admin interface in
> Drupal. That of course assumes that you have set up Sympa already. Does
> that sound like it would be usefull?
>
> Development plattform would be Drupal 4.6 and Sympa 5.0. Depending on
> how much the database table structure of Sympa changed between releases,
> earlier versions might be usable, too. I'll need to investigate this.
>
> I imagine the installation instructions would be similar to:
>
> 1) Install Sympa (pointer to URL)
> 2) Configure Sympa database in settings.php (the usual Drupal config
>    string becomes $db_url['default'], add $db_url['sympa'] with pass,
>    user, and database for sympa)
> 3) Install sympa.module by copying it to your modules directory and
>    enabling it in Drupal's config.
> 4) Visit the Sympa module's settings page, configure permissions, etc.
>
> The hardest part would be 1) which would be outside my responsibility.
> ;)
>
> Cheers,
> 	Gerhard
Regards,